Pages

.

.

Friday 31 January 2020

Darling Bud Marigold

Hi everyone
Welcome to another Team D challenge at Colour Crazy.
Sorry I am a bit late posting - been out all day and forgot to schedule! Duh!!

You know when you see an image and think, "I love that, I just have to have it"?
Well, that was the case with this gorgeous Darling Bud Marigold from Polkadoodles.
It is one of a set of Darling Buds images, all of which are gorgeous, but this one just stood out for some reason and I just had to use it for this challenge.
The fabulous POLKADOODLES is our sponsor for this fortnight and we got to choose which image we wanted to use, this was the one I chose.


So, having chosen my image, I printed her out and put her on my desk!!
WHAM!!!!
Where on earth do I start?
I just sat there for a while, staring at the image and thinking "what on earth have I done?"

Well, after a mild panic, I thought back to one of the fabulous classes that Alyce Keegan does over on Facebook in her group "Kit and Clowder"
Now if you haven't seen this group - 1. Where on earth have you been hiding? (lol) and 2.  You really should go and have a look.
My colouring used to be - shall we say - Basic!! (and that is an understatement, believe me!!)
Then, I found Kit and Clowder and my colouring really started to change.
Now, I am not saying it is beyond reproach, good heavens no.  There is always room for improvement, but - and here's the thing - I am learning to colour using techniques such as lightsource and shading/blending.  Trust me, you really should go and have a look.
Anyway, I digress.  Thinking back to a previous class, where there was a lot of fine detail, Alyce's suggestion was to not be too specific.
By that I mean, treat the image as a bigger picture rather than individual petals, such as here on this image.
So, I used five different colours and literally, dotted the colour where I thought it should go.
Now, I don't know about you, but I think nature is pretty random and following that rule of thumb, I am really happy with how this turned out.
I just love the colours of Autumn - so rich and elegant and always give such a brilliant display at an otherwise dull time of the year, don't you agree?
I decided that after all that work on the image, I wanted it to be the centre of attention so I added it to a stepper card as the main focus.
The papers I have used are from a Claritystamp paper pad called Rainbow River.  This is a double sided paper pack of the very highest quality.  Maybe not the cheapest paper pack around but undoubtedly one of the very best you will find.

The sentiments are both from Polkadoodles - I used Winnie Celebrations Sentiments Kit 3 and Winnie Special Moments Quotes.
These sentiment download kits are so bloomin' useful, there are sooooo many sentiments and quotes to fit just about every occasion.  If you just type "sentiments" in the search box, it will bring up loads and loads of downloadable as well as physical sentiments of every type.

I used the same paper pad to add little accents to the card.
Here's a little close up of the image to show you what I mean about the colouring.
Be kind now!! 🙏🙏

So, there you go then.  What do you think?
I just love these colours together and they are the first colours I think of when I think of Marigolds, although I know they come in other colours too.
The other thing I did different on this image was her eyes!
I always seem to go for blue or green eyes but just thought brown would be more suitable on this image.  Do you have a "go to" eye colour or do you vary them?
Let me know in the comments, I would be interested to see who says what.
So, that's it for now.
TTFN
***

Challenges:


9 comments:

  1. You colouring is stunning - this looks absolutely fabulous,

    Thanks for playing along with us at Aud Sentiments,

    Hugz Tinz

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautifully coloured image Thank you for joining us at Crafty Catz Challenge Blog good luck
    Ginny DT for Crafty Catz Challenge Blog
    My Blog As I do Rodos

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lovely card with your colouring and papers, thanks for sharing at Crafty catz challenge
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, love the fold of the card, nice image and colors are pretty, thank you for playing our challenge at Krafty Chicks.

    Leanne DT/KC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the rich colouring!
    This has come together beautifully!
    Love this entry, thank you for sharing with Creatalicious.
    Good luck, we all hope to see you and your wonderful creations again!
    Jackie DT member.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back again and still adore these rich colours!
    This has come together beautifully!
    Love this entry, thank you for sharing with Creatalicious.
    Good luck, we all hope to see you and your wonderful creations again!
    Jackie DT member.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful card!
    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "anything goes + optional hearts” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
    Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well…

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)

    (DT Crafty Friends)

    (DT The Sketchy Challenges)

    (DT Simply Create Too)

    (DT Kreativtanten)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to take a look at my blog. I love to read your comments so please don't forget to leave one and let me know what you thought.
Have a fabulous day wherever you are and whatever you are doing.